Skip to content ↓

Design Technology

 We focus on a range of skills which students need and that have a particular relevance to the 21st Century. In D&T the emphasis is on teaching students to recognise and solve design problems by the use of different materials and technologies. Such skills as planning, investigating, analysing, and evaluating are as important as the practical skills needed to bring about the realisation of a student's ideas. Design Technology is a popular subject and it develops students’ creative and practical skills.
The topics in years 7, 8 and 9 follow the National Curriculum where it encourages pupils to understand design problems, develop creative solutions and to make their final product a reality. We use a range of Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacture tools including our new 3D Printer and laser cutting facilities for all. We also have a well-equipped workshop and theory room

 

Term 1

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Introduction to technology and safety

Recap Safety in the Workshop and tools

Regulating greenhouse temp

Learning to Look

Solar solutions

Advanced modelling

Core skills

Analyse that

Does it connect?

Understanding Fibres and fabrics

textiles entrepreneur

Para - triathlete design

Signs

Salad servers

Festival headgear

Term 2

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Wider use of Textiles

Table centrepiece

Knight rider computerised cars

Jewellery design

True cost of textiles technology

Mech - Olympics

Eco design

Animated display

Such a mess

Moody lights

Cost of tech

Wearable Tech

Term 3

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Greeting card Micro bit

Table centrepiece

Knight rider computerised cars

Scrappy Circuits

True cost of textiles technology

Mech - Olympics

Mobile phone

Animated display

Such a mess

 

Cost of tech

Wearable Tech

GCSE Resistant Materials

What will I learn?
Learning is based on a variety of design and practical tasks in metal, wood and plastic. You will learn how designers design the weird and wonderful as well as the practical. Projects in CAD/ CAM will develop your skills in Computer Aided Design and Making and practical projects in enamelling, raising, forging and carpentry, will expand your making skills in preparation for your Controlled Assessment task in year 11.

How will I learn?
In year 10, you will complete a range of design and make projects, using wood, metal and plastic as well as CAD/CAM. The projects will follow the design process:
DESIGNING - investigation leading to the production of a variety of ideas which, after development, promotes the evolution of a design proposal in detail.
MAKING - selection and use of materials, processes, tools and equipment to produce high quality products;
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING - all aspects which aid the development of a designing and making capability but, specifically, those relating to materials and components, systems and control, structures, products and applications, quality and Health & Safety.

How will I be assessed?
In year 10 you will be assessed by your teacher at various stages in the project and will complete a final assessment at the end of each project. We follow the AQA syllabus and the GCSE is 60% Controlled Assessment and 40% external theory exam, the latter taking place at the end of year 11. AQA set the Controlled Assessment tasks and you will be given a range of tasks to choose from. Previous tasks include: jewellery, coffee table, garden project and storage and you will have 45 hours to complete a design folder and a practical outcome. This is worth 60% of your final grade. The external theory exam makes up the remaining 40% of your grade.

What can I progress to?
Engineering, construction, welding, blacksmithing, jewellery designer and maker, goldsmith, silversmith, teacher, lecturer, furniture maker, set designer, set constructer, toy designer and many, many more B.A Jewellery and Metalwork.

 

Further Information
Mrs Perez
Email: lperez@aylestone.hereford.sch.uk